Friday, December 27, 2013

Part of the reason why I'm struggling of studying in Seoul is that I'm not sure if I like the city. When asked by the Koreans which place in Seoul I liked most I could think of nothing but shopping. Yes shopping here for clothes and cosmetics is great. But once I've replenished my supplies (torn jeans and Korean cosmetics bought 2 years ago) my shopping mania died down and I have no incentive to even walk around.

I don't even watch any Korean dramas or listen to KPops. The palaces are not spectacular and food is too spicy. So am I interested in Korea really?

I enjoyed very much being with the people though. They are super friendly and funny. Proud of their own culture, language and identity (which sadly we Hong Kong people find hard to) on the journey I've came across with all kinds of people and most of the best friends are Koreans, even though we had a hard time communicating in English. You can truly feel they value the friendship with you and not just a random person to kill time with. 

I have yet to decide whether I like Seoul. It is a huge city. Everything new, convenient, hot shower, wifi (2 things I have been longing for) but something's missing.

I want to be with the nature. It is so big that it is hard to escape. Maybe I'm not familiar with the place yet. But I miss Hong Kong, where I could find as many trails as I want to walk on. Seoul is truly capitalist. So glamorous and new that you hardly see any old poor people in the city. (Or I have a tendency to be with people who suffer?) It is all very mechanical, not natural. I have yet to observe.


0 comments:

Post a Comment